Tuesday, June 06, 2006

....."Diamond LiL"...here I come.....

Well Sir...ever since this old nuts been about 7 or 8 years old...I've had a real fascination fer WWII aircraft...especially the Bombers...all bombers, B-17's, 24's,25's,26's, 29's and 36's....

Now...in our Sunday paper this week was an article about how the B-24 Liberator Bomber, "Diamond Lil" was payin a visit to the nearby Syracuse International Airport and would be open fer tours and flights. She was born in 1940 and was sent to England for bombing missions over Germany in WWII.

These beautiful, well designed Aircraft were responsible in part for the defeat of Nazi Germany and the Axis powers.

Now Sir...I made arrangement with the wife for us to go over to the Airport and sorta just tour the plane...kinda expressin my wish that I could take a flight in this old gal...after all...we are about the same age. The wife just laughed and said "ya...like we could afford that". The rides are quite expensive....So I says..."Ya...but it's tax deductable cause its a Charity organization (which it is)". She just laughed and told me to "dream on"....said I don't need another woman in my life...I've got her.


Well Sir...today I was just about to start writin my post fer today when the phone rang...and the caller ID said "B-24 and B-29". What!... thinks I...am I seein things? So...this Cookie answers the phone and its the headquarters for "The Commemorative Air Force" and they wanted to confirm my "Flight Status" fer tomorrow...and that I would be at the Airport at 2:15 for a 3:00PM flight. So...by now y'all figured it out that my wonderfull, loving wife had secretly bought me a flight on a World War II bomber...the grand lady..."Diamond Lil", B-24 Liberator.....

Needless to say...I am now like a kid at Christmas time, or an old Marine Gunnery Sergeant (who happens to have a blog called "Shooting the Messenger") who cain't wait to play with a brand new military "Mini-Gun".....

So folks...y'all can just be guessin what tomorrow's post is gonna be about. If'n I can get some pix...I will. It won't get up till late cause the flight is at 3:00PM...but I'm sure once the sexual hormones and adrenalin subsides...I'll be able to put somethin together bout this airborn adventure......Cookie....