Sunday, April 23, 2006

Flumoxxed! HUSHAMA.. what?... and "The State of Jefferson..."




Well Sir....believe it or not...this here is the fourth attempt to publish and post this here blog....the first attempt I actually did get the post published but it threw my entire blog outta whack....put the sidebar down to the bottom......I don't know if "Blogger" is screwed up or my "puter"....but I'm gonna give it one last try.....

I started the last post with how..."this is gonna be one of those fanciful and fun posts we all do every now and agin..." but after the pain in the ass its been so fer...I'll just leave that part out...

Now Sir...where was I...oh ya...ever since I been readin the blog "Born Again Redneck....in The State of Jefferson"....I been a wunderin just where in the hell is the State of Jefferson and whats that about. Well Sir....not wantin t'show m'ignorance...I just didn't bother t'ask Patrick Joubert(the blog author) fer an explanashun......and I know that this post already has Patrick's full attention cause a the State of Jefferson flag in the corner.....

Awhile back...as good fortune would have it....I was a prowlin the blogosphere lookin fer a real great recipee fer "Hoppin John" ...my favorite blackeye'd peas, meat and rice dish...and I found one that put even m'own recipee t'shame over at "Fanny & Vera's Camp Cookbook" . So..outta courtesy...I contacted Miss Fanny and asked her permission to re-publish her recipee on m'own blog...and she graciously allowed me too.....

Well Sir....me and Miss Fanny began to e-mail each other and her last e-mail read as follows..........

Dearest Cookie,

Glad you like it. Next time I whip up some red beans and dirty rice I'll make measurements so I can send you the recipe. You might like the Lobscouse and Hushamagrundy (Gold Rush era eats) as well--they make great camp fare. Like most things, I just toss a bit of this and that together. I need to measure and record the ingredients for my kids, so will pass on the recipes when written.

A quick lesson in the State of Jefferson: in the 1940's, a few counties in Southern Oregon and Northern California were a bit upset about the decomposing state of their roads. In protest, these counties seceded from the Union and called themselves the State of Jefferson. Their national flag was a field of green marked with two "x's" on a gold pan (sign of the double cross). Each Thursday, they would secede from the Union, set up "border check points" to inspect immigrants and collect fees to pass through the state. They promised to keep it up until the roads got fixed. The roads got fixed.

Read more about it at:
http://www.jeffersonstate.com/jeffersonstory.html or http://www2.jeffnet.org/Page.asp?NavID=1033

The idea revived in recent times, and exists as a "State of Mind". I listen to Jefferson Public Radio and buy paneling from Jefferson State Wood Products. These counties prefer not to be associated with the more industrial Southern California and Northern Oregon. We are located in the last true American wilderness and seek to preserve it and a lifestyle of living with the land. Resources-based light industry, tourism, hunting and fishing are the economic lifeblood of our communities. Historically we have been a bastion of free-thinkers and other independent, self-sufficient curmudgeons. You'd fit right in.

But enough for today's history lesson and soap-box session. You just keep on cookin'.

Best Regards to you and yours,
Miss Fanny

Ah Ha....now I knew WHERE the State of Jefferson was and WHAT it was all about.......but her e-mail raised anuther question....just what in the hell is HUSHAMAGRUNDY ? Sounded like sumthin I mighta heard said in an old Ma & Pa Kettle movie...or maybe old Gabby hisself might a mentioned. Now good Sir's and Madam's....havin been a sailin man in m'lifetime...and been around this here wurld a bit.....I'd heard a Lobscouse....even have a recipee fer it that I'll be a publishin somewhere down the line (betcha Miss Fanny's is better)....but never heard of Hushamawhatchacallit!

No big deal....I'll just "Google" it....Well Sir...guess what....fer the first time since I been usin Google all these years...it came back...NO HITS! Holy crap.....no hits found! Ain't never seen that afore on Google......

So...I've sent an e-mail off t'Miss Fanny requestin her recipee fer both her Lobscouse and her "Hushamagrundy"...and I'm sure she'll be a gettin back t'me as soon as she can...but in the meantime...lets have some fun...lets see if'n any a y'all out there ever heard of it...and if'n ya have...just what the hell is it and how d'ya cook it...........Cookie