Friday, August 18, 2006

...Not so fast pardner......


When I worked as a Homicide Investigator....I used to have a sign on my desk that read.....


HOMICIDE DIVISION ...Our day begins..when yours ends.

Well Sir...regardin this here JonBenet murder arrest....Not so fast! I'm not convinced yet. I can distinctly remember 3 cases I had in particular where all the evidence (excluding DNA) pointed to one suspect...and it woulda been real easy to arrest those suspects, close out the case... and let a jury sort it out...but early on in my Police career I had a very good mentor who taught me to always take a step or two back from a case and give it a real good OBJECTIVE look see before committing to close the case.

Now Sir...in all 3 above mentioned cases...it's a damn good thing I heeded my mentor's suggestions because in all three cases...the main suspect was the wrong person. By taking a closer look at ALL the evidence...especially the evidence that tended to exclude that suspect...further investigation revealed that there was a yet...unknown suspect in the case. Now...the good news is that the real perpetrator(s) were eventually arrested...and the original target of the investigation was cleared. I truly don't think I could have slept well at night knowing I had not done my job correctly and thoroughly......

Fer some reason...this here Cookie is sensing a "Fifteen minutes of Fame" scenario regardin this Ramsey homicide suspect. He wouldn't be the first psycho to confess to a high profile crime just to get the attention ...and until such time as I'm presented with hard DNA or other such absolutely conclusive evidence...I think the press should steer clear of potentially convicting this "suspect" in the Court of Public Opinion and contaminating the jury pool......

So...in closing...."Here's lookin at you kid...." Cookie.....