Sunday, February 04, 2007

How I wound up in the hospital and became a DAV.....

Well Sir...when I was a young 19 year old Sailor on my first leave after completing my three month long "Boot Camp" at Great Lakes Naval Training Center....I wound up in the hospital on my very first day of leave....here be the story mates on just how this happened....

As I walked down the busy sidewalk, my eyes fell upon one of those unfortunate, homeless vagabonds that are found in every city.

Wearing what can only be described as rags, carrying every worldly possession in two plastic bags, my heart was touched by this person's condition.

Some people turned to stare. Others quickly looked away as if the sight would somehow contaminate them.

Recalling some long ago Sunday School admonition to "care for the sick, feed the hungry and clothe the naked", I was moved by some powerful inner urge to reach out to this unfortunate person.

Yes sir, where some people saw only rags, I saw a hidden beauty. A small voice inside my head called out, "Reach out, reach out and touch someone in need!"



So I did.
^
^
^
^
^




...and that mates... is the story of how old Cookie became a Disabled American Veteran without gettin a Purple Heart......