Friday, February 01, 2008

Yupper...typical Marine !! ...and..A Marine's story...



...and...if'n ya be wunderin what 1955 movie that scene was frum...it was...



Ya know...I really enjoy bustin Marine's balls...but... that's because I love and respect those guys and what they've done for our great nation...

A little story about a Marine fer y'all to reflect on. My brother Bob (God rest his Soul) was a Marine in the Korean War. He had quit High School, joined the Marines and went off to war. As is almost always the case, he came back a changed man, as many of us can relate to.

What he witnessed, experienced and learned in war, prompted him to not only go back and complete HS, but go on to College and graduate with honors. He became an educator, and later joined the United States Air Force, retiring as a Colonel. He flew F-4 Phantom's over Nam for 2 tours. Understandably, he always had a special place in his heart toward the Corps...

He was always an inspiration to me, and at many times, my best mentor. I always had the highest love and respect for him, and as a young lad of 8 or 9, was proud to wear his Marine Corps cover (piss cutter).

As a Navy Seabee, I was honored and proud to both train and serve with The United States Marines...and at this time of my life, be a member of The Marine Corps League, Emerald City Detachment.... SEMPER FI mates...
_________________________

A few days back, I was talking with my grandson, and discovered that he had absolutely no knowledge of either WWII or Vietnam. I also discovered the same regarding my 12 year old granddaughter. I found this very disturbing that they weren't even aware of them.

Now Sir....anyone who's ever been to war will generally not glorify it, but some wars must be fought if men are to be free and equal, and most importantly, our children need to be taught about the great men who sacrificed and died so that we may live the way we live today.

I guess I'm just an old fashioned patriotic guy, and I make no apologies for that, but we need to get back to what the Battle Hymn of the Republic sings about...before we lose it altogether....

A very beautiful version of The Battle Hymn of the Republic by The Mormon Tabernacle Choir...In a day and time when we're not supposed to mention the Lord, or God, and it's not cool to be Patriotic....we need MORE, much more, of this....



Cookie's Note: Every year the Cookie and his wife attend a special ceremony on Memorial Day weekend called "The Watch-Fire" (mentioned in the Hymn). As an absolutely huge pile of wood and old flags is lit at sundown, this Hymn is played and sung...and it will bring a tear to yur eye...