Saturday, April 12, 2008

Sunday...Anniversary's, one pending, one present... and a Movie Opening..

Well Sir....coming up this Friday, April 18th, is an anniversary that few recall. It's the 66th anniversary of Lt.Col. James Doolittle's famous raid on Tokyo approximately 5 months after the Japanese had bombed Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.

As a young lad, the first book that I ever read cover to cover (other than books that were nuthin but pictures) was the famous "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo". It was the full story of this daring raid frum it's inception to completion. The raid itself did very little tactical damage to the Japanese, and our bombers were only over Tokyo for 30 seconds of flight (hence the name of the book),but from a strategic standpoint, it was just the morale builder that our military men and women, and the folks back home needed to strike a blow back for the insidious Pearl Harbor attack.

Lt. Col. Doolittle and his men did something that had never been done before in Navy, or Army Air Force history. They flew B-25 Mitchell Bombers off the deck of the Aircraft Carrier Hornet. In that the bombers would not be able to return or land back on the Carrier Hornet, the mission was a "one way" mission, and after many of the bombers were forced to crash land in China, the survivors were then helped back to safety by the Chinese people, who were being oppressed by the Japanese.









Col. Doolittle's bomber was the first to take off...




Col. Doolittle is awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor by President Roosevelt



...If'n ya would like to read some more about this very interesting and true life adventure...here be a link fer y'all....

http://www.doolittleraider.com/

_______________________________________

Now Sir....ALSO....Opening this April the 18th in theaters all over the country is a movie that I will definately go and see....

It's Ben Stein's "Expelled", and from the reviews I've read about it, it's not just for folks who believe in "Intelligent Design" (God or a Higher Power), it's also of interest to those who don't.....If'n y'all want, here are three trailers for ya t'watch at yur leisure......




________________________________________



...and next...an anniversary of a friend of mine, Myron from Myrons Random Thoughts had a personal anniversary that means a lot to him, and rightfully so....on April the 8th, he celebrated the 50th anniversary of him earning and receiving his coveted Submarine Dolphins for having "Qualified" on his boat. Fer those of y'all who may not understand the significance of this, it means that after a year (plus or minus) of studying, learning and being tested about EVERY system, job and aspect of that submarine, he was then capable of doing any other man's job should that shipmate be injured or killed. Belated congradulations to ya amigo.....

BTW...at this writing, Myron has several very good, interesting posts up regarding himself, and the United States Naval Submarine Service, which BTW, celebrated it's own 108th anniversary on April 11th as well.....

For I am a Submariner...

By John Chaffey
SSN639, SSN687, SSBN619

I served on the Holland over a century ago.

I still serve to this day on the Trident, Los Angeles & Seawolf class boats

and look forward to shipping on the Virginia, Texas and Hawaii.

Places like Fremantle, Rota, LaMadd, Chinhae, Pattaya, Sasebo and Subic stir my soul.

For I am a Submariner.

I rest in peace beneath many seas across this earth.

I was on the Barbel off Palawan, the Scorpion off the Azores and the Bonefish in the Sea of Japan.

We gave them hell in the harbors at Wewak and Namkwan.

I am a Shellback, a Bluenose, a Plank Owner, a MCPO of the Navy, a CNO and a President.

For I am a Submariner.

I heard Howard Gilmore’s final order, “Take Her Down.”

I heard the word passed, “Underway on Nuclear Power.”

I have done every job asked of me, from Messcook to Torpedoman to Motormac to COB to Skipper.

I know “Snorkel Patty” and Admiral Rickover.

For I am a Submariner.

I have twin Dolphins tattooed on my chest and twin screws tattooed on my ass.

I know the difference between a Lady and a Hooker but treat both with equal respect.

I know Georgia Street and Magsaysay drive.

And although the Horse & Cow keeps moving I will always find her.

I know the meaning of “Hot, Straight and Normal.”

For I am a Submariner.

I have stood tall and received the Medal of Honor and been thrown in the Brig for being Drunk and Disorderly.

I know the reverent tone of “Diesel Boats Forever” and the Gudgeon’s “Find em, Chase em, Sink em.”

I was on the Spearfish evacuating nurses from Corregidor and the Skate when she surfaced at the North Pole.

I have spent time in the Royal Hawaiian.

For I am a Submariner.

I have gone by names like Spritz, Cromwell, O’Kane, Ramage, Breault, “Mush” and Lockwood.

I have served on boats like the Nautilus, Thresher, Parche, Squalus, Wahoo and Halibut.

On December 7th I was onboard the Tautog at Pearl Harbor.

I was also on the Tusk in 49 and sacrificed myself for my shipmates on the Cochino.

For I am a Submariner.

I have stood watches in the cold of Holy Loch and the heat of the South Pacific.

I know what the “41 For Freedom” accomplished.

I was on the Sealion at Cavite in 41 and the Archerfish in Tokyo Bay in 45.

I have endured depth charges and POW camps.

I was on the Seafox when we lost 5 sailors to a Japanese ambush on Guam.

For I am a Submariner.

I tip beers over sea-stories with my shipmates at yearly conventions.

We toll the bell and shed a tear for our buddies who are on eternal patrol.

Many pilots have been glad to see me, including a future president.

I have completed numerous highly classified missions during the Cold War.

Because “Freedom Is Not Free,” be assured that I am out there at this very moment.

For I am a Submariner.
____________________________________________

....and finally...being a cook, when I saw this "Smoker" over at Myrons blog yesterday, after quiverin & shudderin with climactic delight (if'n ya know what I mean), I just had t'borrow these here photygraffs from one of his posts...

Now THIS my friend is my kinda Smoker....




___________________________________