Sunday, May 25, 2008

Remember...and be very grateful.... It's what this weekend is all about.....

Well Sir....while sorta reminiscin in my reverie regarding my recently departed best friend (previous post), a thought came to me about a song, that to my recollection, the last time I had heard sung was in early High School. I immediately checked YouTube, but the only two versions I could find was one, by Barara Streisand, whom I wouldn't sully my blog-site or insult y'all with, and this version, by Dean Martin and Phil Sivers.

This song was first written shortly after WWI, and was eventually published in 1922. It was written by a soldier who had lost his best buddy in battle. Although the Dean Martin/Phil Silvers version is comical, I wasn't going to use it at first, but then I got to thinkin, this is exactly the kind of clownin around and comedy routines that myself and "Snogs" used to do all the time, and, since I've devoted most of the posts on this blog to comedy...here t'is...

" My Buddy".....



_______________________________









_______________________________________

...and...I just cain't let t'day go by without gettin in my weekly shot at The Marine Corps.....

Associated Press
1 March 2008

United States Navy Pilot Saves Life of Marine Corps Pilot in Horse-Back Riding Mishap

Pensacola, FL. A U.S. Marine Corps pilot temporarily assigned to the Naval Air Training Command narrowly escaped serious injury recently when he attempted horseback riding with no prior experience. After mounting his horse unassisted, the horse immediately began moving. As it galloped along at a steady and rhythmic pace, the pilot, Lt. "Cos" Cosgrove, began to slip sideways from the saddle.

Although attempting to grab for the horse's mane Cosgrove could not get a firm grip. He then threw his arms around the horse's neck but continued to slide down the side of the horse. The horse galloped along, seemingly oblivious to its slipping rider. Finally, losing his grip, the Lieutenant attempted to leap away from the horse and throw himself to safety. His foot, however, became entangled in the stirrup, leaving him at the mercy of the horse's pounding hooves as his head and upper body repeatedly struck the ground.

Moments away from unconsciousness, and probable death, to his great fortune a U.S. Navy pilot, shopping at Wal-Mart, saw him and quickly unplugged the horse!

Photobucket
______________________________________

...and this is one of the best renditions of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" I believe I've ever heard.....

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/Battle%20Hymn/index.htm
_______________________________

A Big THANKS to all who contributed to this here post, Susan Gertson, Clint Griffin, "The Chief"

Photobucket
_________________________