Sunday, May 25, 2008

The Memorial Day "Watchfire"....




Well Sir....This years annual "Watchfire" at the New York State Fair-Grounds in Syracuse, NY had a fantastic turnout of between 12 and 15,000 patriotic Americans in attendance. Mostly comprised of Vet's, their family, friends and onlookers, it has truly become an event that many people look forward to every year as a respectful, solemn and symbolic way to celebrate Memorial Day.

"Watchfire's" were used by ancient Roman soldiers so that warriors could find their way home at night following a battle. The practice was also widespread during the American Civil War, but today, they are mostly symbolic...a way to light the way home for those souls lost in battle.

If you are a person who would like to start an annual Watchfire in your area, contact one of your local Veterans groups and see what y'all can get going. I promise you, it will become a large event filled with much camaraderie. Our Watchfire began about 10 years ago with only a few hundred folks, mostly Vietnam Vets and their families, but has now grown enormously.

I'm also going to dedicate this post to another true American hero for us to remember on this day, Clint Gertson. Clint gave his life for freedom, both for Iraqi's and this great country of ours while serving in Iraq. I didn't personally know Clint, but from what I've learned about him from his parents, Susan and Gayle Gertson, I wish I had.....



Clint Gertson.... Thank You for your ultimate sacriface mate.....



I saw this over at "The Chief's", and is my way "sometimes", I just had to borrow it....
______________________________________

...and, an Encore..."The Battle Hymn of the Republic"....

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/Battle%20Hymn/index.htm

_________________________________