Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hey Dad! What's fer breakfast? Hobo Skillet!

I was recently visiting over at that old cranky curmudgeon, "The Chief", and he had posted an article about a meal he had in a diner recently, HOBO SKILLET. It got me to think'n bout sumthin I used to make many years back when all four youngin's was a grow'n up.

I broke our my recipe collection and sure nuff, there it was Hobo Skillet. Now, I'm not sure if its exactly the same thing "The Chief" had but they sure do look alike. Here be the recipe if'n ya don't mind eat'n a real cholesterol bomb! 
















Hobo Skillet

Prep Time: 15 min

Cook Time: 15 min

Serves: 4 servings

Ingredients
• 12 ounces country style bulk sausage OR sliced link sausage.
• 3/4 cup chopped yellow or Vadelia onions
• 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, and 1/2 cup sliced green pepper
• 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 3 cups fresh hash browns OR 3 cups uncooked home fries.
• 6 scrambled eggs OR 3 fried eggs-over easy.
• 1 to 1 1/2 cup(s) shredded Cheddar cheese.

Directions

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the sausage, drain most, but not all of the fat.

Add onions, mushrooms and sliced peppers and cook until tender, set aside in a separate bowl.

In the same skillet, add the oil and hash browns/home fries over medium-high heat and cook until golden brown on 1 side. Once golden brown add the scrambled eggs, mushroom, peppers & onion mixture. Scramble together until desired consistency and top with cheese.

**NOTE-** A Variation: Like in the above photo, Cookie prefers NOT to use scrambled eggs. After I've added the mushroom, pepper & onion mixture to the cooked sausage and hash browns/home fries, I remove from skillet while its still hot and place it into a bowl and top with the shredded cheese and stir around long enough for cheese to melt through the hot mixture. Then I place servings on plates top each serving with 2 or 3 recently fried eggs (OVER-EASY--that way the yoke soaks through the entire dish).

Cover with a lid until cheese melts and serve.
_____________________________________________

**SIGH** A mothers wurk is never done....


_________________________________

Quiz!

Watch short video first. BTW, Cookie actually saw a few of these Constellations while growing up, even flew on one when I was a real young'n (that gives ya an idear how old this type of plane was).




1) What is the name of the theme being played in the Video?

2) Who was the main star of the Movie?

3) Which Airline had the most of this type of aircraft?
__________________________________

Yupper, my kinda Cops!

Actual comments made by South Carolina Troopers that were taken off their car videos:

1. “You know, stop lights don’t come any redder than the one you just went through.”

2. “Relax, the handcuffs are tight because they’re new. They’ll stretch after you wear them a while.”

3. “If you take your hands off the car, I’ll make your birth certificate a worthless document.”

4. “If you run, you’ll only go to jail tired.”

5. “Can you run faster than 1200 feet per second? Because that’s the speed of the bullet that’ll be chasing you.”

6. “You don’t know how fast you were going? I guess that means I can write anything I want to on the ticket, huh?”

7. “Yes, sir, you can talk to the shift supervisor, but I don’t think it will help. Oh, did I mention that I’m the shift supervisor?”

8. “Warning! You want a warning? O.K, I’m warning you not to do that again or I’ll give you another ticket.”

9. “The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?”

10. “Fair? You want me to be fair? Listen, fair is a place where you go to ride on rides, eat cotton candy and corn dogs and step in monkey poop.”

11. “Yeah, we have a quota. Two more tickets and my wife gets a toaster oven.”

12. “In God we trust; all others we run through NCIC.” ( National Crime Information Center )

13. “Just how big were those ‘two beers’ you say you had?”

14. “No sir, we don’t have quotas anymore. We used to, but now we’re allowed to write as many tickets as we can.”

15. “I’m glad to hear that the Chief (of Police) is a personal friend of yours. So you know someone who can post your bail.”

AND THE WINNER IS….

16. “You didn’t think we give pretty women tickets? You’re right, we don’t. Sign here.”
_____________________________________

COMMENTS:

"Deke" said; Now that is a breakfast.

"Northwoods Doc" said; "The High and Mighty starring John Wayne - TWA

"Dapper Dan" said; "Man, that hobo skillet is mouth watering delicious. We've got to try that!

The movie them is "The High and Mighty." The star was John Wayne (I knew it, but confess I checked wiki to make sure). I would guess Pan Am or TWA, but since I need to go with one, I'll say TWA. The Constellation was one of the most beautiful airplanes ever manufactured. I saw one land at Berry Field in Nashville when I was a kid. In 2005, we took a trip to the Grand CAnyon and on the road leading to it, stopped at an air museum. They had a "Connie" outside and the guides explained that it was the one that was MacArthur's personal ride for awhile before Pres. Truman fired him."

COOKIE said;  Well looks like we got two folks who got the quiz spot on. Good on ya both mates! Guess I'll have to begin making the quiz's a touch more difficult.

"The Chief" said; " Heck, I dunno, but I'll guess: 1. "The High and the Mighty"; 2. John Wayne; 3. TWA. What do I win?"

COOKIE said; Hey, we've got yet another winner. BTW Chief, you winn my respect and admiration!