Sunday, April 03, 2011

A "Special" posting. If'n y'all ever get the chance.....USS Arizona Memorial.

But first, my wife, the "submariner"...

A few years back my wife and I were fortunate enough to have taken a cruise to Hawaii and while there, we took a dive on the "Atlantis" Submarine. Elaine was a bit apprehensive as first off she doesn't swim and secondly, SHE WAS UNDER THE OCEAN!! It's really quite an interesting tour. We cruised at approximately 127 feet below the surface so it's a very REAL submarine experience. I understand they also have these submarines in the Caribbean as well so if'n y'all ever get a chance, take the dive, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.



One of the main reasons I wanted, needed, to go to Pearl Harbor was to see and visit the USS Arizona Memorial. It's a very moving and somber experience, especially fer an old sailor. Of note, is that on the day we were at the Memorial, there were also many older Japanese men and their wives, many were crying. Judging from their ages and their somewhat intense grieving, I suspect they may possibly have had something to do with that date which will live in Infamy, December 7, 1941.

The Memorial is in fact the final resting place of 1177 Sailors and Marines that served aboard her, and out of respect there is virtual silence throughout the Memeorial.

She still bleeds her oil to this day.....

These two short videos are self explanatory.





Now Sir, if'n yur more of an adventurous type, take a "doors off" Helicopter flight over an active volcano, Kilauea. You can really feel the heat from the volcano.


__________________________________

COMMENTS:

"Vigilis" said; "In its infinite wisdom, the Navy sent me to Pearl for training that had been delayed one week.
This was AFTER I submitted a 60-day "early out" for additional college. The school command approved a one-week vacation (disapproved by my boat, they had said, but I doubted so). I got to Ford Island and the Arizona Memorial- fantastic!
To make the vacation even better, I flew my wife over to Hawaii for a belated honeymoon. The Navy would not approve our marriage for many months (I have the chits to prove it). 35 years later I would be told why: mission criticality. That is all I am at liberty to say to this day.

GO NAVY!"

COOKIE said; Vigilis, if you don't mind, what years were you in? I might be able to figure our the nature and criticality of that mission, location and time. I maintained quite a few contacts after I left the service, many of them Officers like yourself and heard a great many things that I still haven't spoken of to this day. In fact, my post about the near catastrophe at West Milton was the first time I'd spoken about that since 1965.