Monday, February 27, 2006

Ccccold Upstate Borders....John's Chunky Chili

Well sir, I stuck m'nose out the door a the cookshack bout 6 this mornin...brrrr...-13 degrees below zero. I had a candle goin in the hen house t'keep it warm but it got so cold, the flame froze solid.....then, one a the hens pecked it off n ate it, and cooked herself frum the inside out when the flame thawed...swear t'God. Then I looked over at the Canadian border n saw three fellers a sneekin across. They came over ta the shack, and in a langwidge I couldn't unerstand, indicated they wanted somethin t'eat. Before I could answre them, one a them handed me a note, written in English (that someone else had obviosly wrote fer them). It said that if'n I didn't comply with their demands, they would sick the ACLU on me for discrimination er somethin, and I was also to start payin fer their kids edjucashun or else they'd have the ACLU sue me. SHIT....what bout my edjucashun...jus look at m'spellin! Well sir, that feller at Stop The ACLU or at http://stoptheaclu.org/ has got some more on that subject but fer now....bein as cold as it is, some good homemade chili shur sounds good. This chere's a recipee frum John Yowan out in Chanute, Kansas.....thanks John. By the way Y'all, if'n ya got a good recipee ya wanta share...just send it to my e-mail address... Thecookshack@aol.com ....JOHN'S HARDY CHUNKY CHILI

2 lbs ground venison or lean ground beef
1-2 packages of dry chili seasoning ( your choice )
1 large white onion chopped
4 large cans diced tomatoes, 28oz each with juice
2 large cans spicy chili beans with juice. I prefer Bush's chili beans but any will do.
1-2 cans Rotel tomatoes with chill peppers ( your choice )

Using Large pot
1) Cook ground venison/beef with chopped onion until no longer pink / Drain / Return to pot
2) Add the chili seasoning and stir into the meat/onion
3) Add diced tomatoes and stir
4) Add Rotel tomatoes and stir
5) Add chili beans with the juice from the cans and stir

Cook for several hours on low heat letting it simmer.

Serve alone or with shredded sharp cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

Can also be served over cooked white rice.

Leftovers freeze well.

Note: The more chili seasoning and Rotel tomatoes you add the spicier it is.